Last modified: 2009-01-17 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: centro regional de educación saturio ríos | cresr | ríos (saturio) | castillo (maría luisa) | cárdenas (martina) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Centro Regional de Educación "Saturio Ríos" (Education Regional
Center "Saturio Rios"), located in San Lorenzo, is the follower of the
Escuela Normal Rural (Rurual Schoolmasters' College), built with the
help of the US government and inaugurated on 25 April 1956. Decree No.
28,343 of the Executive, signed on 22 April 1963, transformed it into
the Primer Centro Regional de Educación de la República (First
Education Regional Center of the Republic); the center was ruled by a
Director General appointed by the Paraguayan Minister of Education and
an US Assessor.
On 16 October 1966, the center was named after Saturio Ríos (1846-1920). Born in San Lorenzo, Ríos was the first telegraphist in Paraguay.
The flag of CRESR is white with a dark red triangle, not reaching the
edges of the flag, charged with the yellow letters "CRESR". The
"Impact" font seems to be a correct approximation of the font used o
nthe real flag, which is shown on a photography on the CRESR website.
The flag was designed by two teachers of CRESR, María Luisa Castillo
and Martina Cárdenas. Garnet red (rojo granate) represents the
flower of the chivato salpicada de amarillo* , a tree that grows
profusely near the center. White is the symbol of the purity of the
children and of the youth.
*Chivato is the name given in Argentina and Paraguay to the Royal Poinciana, D. regia (Boj. ex Hook.) Raf., a tree native from Madagascar, aka Flamboyant (FlameTree) or Malinche. The Portuguese word chivato, "a pimp", alludes to the bright red, profuse flowers of the tree. The biggest petal (standard) of the flower is white and yellow-spotted, which might explain the salpicado de amarillo (yellow-spotted) epithet.
Ivan Sache, 6 Aug 2008
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.