Last modified: 2008-02-09 by phil nelson
Keywords: arviat | nunavut | pangnirtung | pangiqtuuq |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Pangnirtung is an Inuit hamlet, Qikiqtaaluk Region, in the Canadian territory of Nunavut. It is located at 66°08' North Latitude and 65°45' West Longitude on Baffin Island. As of the 2006 census the population was 1,325 an increase of 3.8% from the 2001 census. Pangnirtung is situated on a coastal plain at the coast of Pangnirtung Fjord, a fjord which eventually merges with Cumberland Sound. The area of the town is 7.54 square kilometres.
In 1921, Hudson's Bay Company established a trading post in Pangnirtung, and two years later the Royal Canadian Mounted Police erected a permanent office. The first government appointed teacher arrived in 1956, which in 1962 was followed by the first administrative office.
The hamlet flag is shown on a photo on a blog at
A white flag with the hamlet logo on it.
Valentin Poposki, 21 December 2007